Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tales from the Cut Drawer!



Does anyone else have a cut drawer? "What is a cut drawer?" you ask. Well I don't know about you, but many times when I'm finished with my project I end up with extra cuts. Usually they are flowers as I tend to cut out more than I need. Sometimes they are cuts that I made thinking I wanted one size, and then after it is cut realize I needed a bigger size. Now like most of you, I HATE wasting my papers and cartstock. Especially if it's the good stuff!! Now I won't cry over a piece of cardstock from the 100 sheet pack from Hobby Lobby, but let me cut something I can't use from DCWV cardstock or Heaven forbid my Core'dinations, well...I don't want to think about it. Yes, I do make test cuts with cheap cardstock if I'm really not sure what size I want. But sometimes I end up with a cut that I decide I want just a 1/2 inch smaller. Other times, I make all of the cuts I think I want for a layout or card, but when I actually start putting it together I decide I don't want to use some of them. Those things (along with all the extra flowers!) get sent to "The Cut Drawer!" I have one drawer in one of my plastic organizers from Walmart dedicated to these extra cuts. They are great inspiration for new projects especially if you are in a hurry!! Need a quick card or embellishment? Just open the cut drawer and see whats there!

This card came from that wonderful cut drawer! When making the purses in my last post, I originally cut the cherries at 3". I had cut all the layers and assembled the cut when I realized it was too big for the purse. To the cut drawer it went just waiting for another day and another card! I put this card on a 5x7 white card base. The black and red cardstock was from Hobby Lobby. The black first layer was cut at 4 7/8" x 6 7/8". The red layer was cut at 4 1/2" x 6 1/2". I embossed the top with my Cuttlebug using my Swiss Dots folder and punched the bottom edge with the Threading Water Punch. For a contrast piece, I cut a 2 1/2" strip of the black polka dot paper I had used on the purses. The cherries are from the Preserves cartridge and cut at 3" using Christmas glitter cartstock from The Paper Studio. I wanted a sentiment piece, so using the Lacy Labels cartridge I cut a label in black and white at 3". The sweet word art was a part of the label and was cut with a scrap of red glitter cardstock. Green ribbon from Walmart finished the front. As always I love to add something to the inside as well. I layered the black, red and white cardstock graduating 1/8" each time. The cherries inside were cut at 2". The sentiment is a stamp from Penny Black that I stamped in Cranberry ink from Close to My Heart. And, of course, all of the edges are inked.

I hope you have enjoyed this card and it has inspired you to check out what might be hiding in your cut drawer. Or, maybe, to start a cut drawer of your own! Have a Cherry Good Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!! I love your comments!!