Monday, June 6, 2011

Patriotic Centerpiece




I love to decorate for the holidays! In the summer, I usually put out my patriotic decorations at Memorial Day, and leave them all summer long. I hadn't used my cricut to make any decorations for summer before, so I decided to make a centerpiece for my table.

I started with a blue ceramic flower pot from the garden section at Walmart. Using the Stand and Salute cartridge, I cut the stars from white vinyl at 1 1/2" to go around the rim. Then, I used the boarder feature to cut the firecracker pieces at 4 1/2". I put a half styrofoam ball in the pot and covered it with red gift basket filler. Then, I began making the pieces for my "flowers". I wanted this to go in the center of my table so I made it where both sides could be the "front".

I started with the flowers. They were cut at 2 1/2" from Plantin Schoolbook with a shadow in dark blue, and the flower in the red patterned paper. The paper was from the Blue Ribbon paper pack from Close to My Heart. The yellow center flower was cut at 1 1/2". I really wanted red glitter brads for the centers, but all I had was plain ones. So, I put a mini glue dot on the top of each brad and dipped it in garnet Martha Stewart glitter.

Next were the accents. The Uncle Sam hats and firecrackers were both cut from Stand and Salute at 2 1/2". I used Diamond stickles on the "flame" of the firecrackers. For the hats, I ran the white blackout piece through my Xyron, attached the red layer, then covered them with white Doodlebug glitter so that the white parts would sparkle. God Bless America was cut at three inches from Stand and Salute and the I Love USA was from Independence Day at three inches. I used Xmas Red stickles to glitter the heart and stars.

All of these pieces I attached to bamboo sticks from the kitchen section at walmart that I had covered in floral tape. I used large glue dots to attach them. The ribbons that I tied on to the stems were from walmart as well. Then, I just arranged it!

I hope you enjoyed this project. It was a lot of fun to make and I hope it inspired you to make your own!

4 comments:

  1. HI Loraine -- what a fabulous centerpiece! I love all of the red, white and blues. Thanks for sharing on the Linky Party at Craft Junkie Too and for the link to the party. Have a super week-end....
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful centerpiece. If you get a chance link it up on She's A Sassy Lady too for Home Decor for everyone to see! BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Now I am going to make one for my table thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love your Patriotic centerpiece! It's so adorable. Please enter this post in my Patriotic linky party that I'm currently hosting. It's a perfect fit!! Have a safe and Happy 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!! I love your comments!!